Saturday, October 13, 2007

Dad-In-The-Making.

I’m sure you have an idea how Paul and I fervently waited for almost 2 years for our “little one” to come into our lives. So aside from the excited Mommy-in-the-making me, the thrilled soon-to-become-Dad also deserves some spotlight in my Pregnancy Tales journaling.

* Breaking the News to Shrek.
July 6 (Friday) – Paul got up and prepared for work ahead of me. I was four days delayed that time but was clueless of the big news since I felt PMS-ing for days and I expected the red flag would be up any moment. But just to convince myself and to confirm that the visitor would indeed come, I secretly tested. Lo and behold, the second pink line appeared abruptly leaving me staring at it unblinking, unmoving and speechless. Initially, I’d thought of cooking up a surprise (with all the drama and effects) when I reveal the news to my dear husband, but I just couldn’t contain my excitement that I right away showed him the kit upon stepping out of the bathroom. I can still remember his facial expression; he was so shocked that he asked what it was (although he already knew what that means). After a moment, he smiled, hugged me, then he danced crazily. Then his next statement: “Magkakaroon na tayo ng Baby Ogre!” He just had a haircut then so kalbong-kalbo ang asawa ko that time. His shaved head resembled Shrek’s bald head (minus the weird ears of course).

* The Doting Dad.
When I was going through the rough times of my first trimester, I saw once again how the husband is so caring..so patiently doting and so understanding of my needs. With the appetite and with all the aversions that I had, he’d ask what I want for pasalubong. Since I was diagnosed with Hyperemesis Gravidarum (severe morning sickness) during my first trimester, I was on sick leave for 3 weeks in August. I didn’t go to work as I was so weak with all the throwing up sessions that I had. The husband would always buy me whatever would appease my taste buds. He’d also prepare me a glass of Anmum milk when I was so drained of energy to get up at night. He’d also wake up when I need to pee in the middle of the night. He’d also check on my shirt and blanket at night baka daw kasi exposed ang tummy ko. Baka daw malamigan si baby (niyek!). When I complained about my chronic back pains, he’d always see to it that the mattress is properly positioned so I’d sleep comfortably.

When my tummy started to bulge and I couldn’t fit anymore in my regular clothes, he was the one who insisted we shop for maternity clothes na. Naaawa daw siya kay baby kasi naiipit. In fact, he was the one who excitedly chose the preggy blouses that we bought. I shopped for a number of blouses that time so that I have something decent to wear when I go to the office. I am contented with the number I bought since maternity clothes are quite pricey. Pero ang tatay, di pa kuntento and masyadong naaaliw and he’s insisting again that we shop for more para di daw nakakasawa. Hmmm, it’s so very unhim. The usual him kasi is scrimpy. Hehe!

The doting husband/dad also makes sure that his schedule is free on each of my pre-natal check-ups. Even though the waiting queue is quite long and would often take hours before our turn, he’s patiently waiting kahit na minsan he’s so naiinip na. Although, he doesn’t actively participate when my OB and I discuss, he listens attentively naman.

* The Bonding Time.
My husband now kisses me more often. Yun nga lang, more on sa tummy ko. I only get two smacks (morning and evening) while my tummy get kissed several times in a day. Whenever he picks me up from work in the afternoon, he always touches my tummy and asks the “little one” how his/her day was in the office.

Very often, Paul also talks to the little one:
- “Baby, paglaki mo tuturuan kitang maglaro ng DOTA.”
- “Baby, paglaki mo tuturuan kitang maglaro ng basketball.”
- “Baby, paglaki mo tuturuan kitang magsayaw.”
- “Baby, dapat good boy ka ha?”
Yes, he’d always talk to the “little one” like that… he’s so sure that we’re having a baby boy which I always contradict naman. We have an opposing preference kasi on the gender for our firstborn. Hehe! To further annoy me, he even calls the little one “Junior”! Of course, these are just part of our fun preggy bonding moments. Seriously, we’re always praying “kahit ano, as long as normal and healthy”. Just a few more weeks, we get to finally know the gender.

* The Inspired Dad.
My husband has always been the hardworking man. He’s smart, savvy and so spirited to work. This is the reason why he truly deserves the promotion that he’s given last month (not to mention the hefty pay increase, woohoo!). With all the blessings that we got this year especially with the coming of the “little one”, the dad is inspired to work even more. He’s now given greater tasks and more complicated role and yet he feels more hyped and challenged instead of feeling alarmed and antsy.

So there goes the “little one’s” dad as we both journey through this pregnancy. It’s still a long way to go but I just can’t wait to see how they’ll bond, cherish and love each other more when the “little one” finally comes out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mai! You're back!!!

Glad to know your baby is doing fine and your hubby is so, so loving and supportive. My pregnancy was relatively easy but having my hubby by my side made it all seem like a breeze.

Thanks for commenting on my old blog. Di ko siya kaya i-delete but I've moved to a new one, paki-update na lang yung link ko. I've linked you in my new blog too. It's http://jayme.passiotive.com

Ingat lagi!

:)

tin-tin said...

ate mai!!!! you're back!!!

ang sweet naman ni daddy. pero natawa ako ha. talagang ginagawa na nyang boy. hehe.

pero ate mai, i'm sure your child will grow up really feeling loved :)

Anonymous said...

Very loving husband. I love reading preggo posts, takes me down memory lane.

Have a safe pregnancy Mai. Enjoy the time with you husband alone. Pagmay baby na, ibang happy moments naman. ;)

Anonymous said...

nag iiba nga talaga ang mga hubbies pag nagiging daddy to be!

sana u keep on posting, i like reading ur posts cause it gives me an idea what i'll soon experience!

--geri

Bryan Anthony the First said...

goodluck sa pagdating ng baby!!!

woof!