Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Putting Together a Memory Chest

I'm excited. My latest project has been putting together a memory chest for my son. I'm actually making it out of a big, cool metal toolbox I found at the hardware store, and I'm happy to say he already loves it. I'm including his baby book, and as he outgrows his favorite toys we'll keep a few of them here to save. I've also included DVDs with pictures of his earliest days, even going back to my baby shower. Including things in digital format means we'll have to update it as the formats become obsolete, but I think it's still better to have it there--and it is probably still more secure than keeping it in hard copy. I've even included a CD of his favorite songs to go to sleep with. I love putting things into the memory chest, hoping that someday they will be things that my grandchildren love to see.

I think one of the most important things in a family is passing things down--not necessarily objects, although they can be helpful. More, I think it's important to maintain a sense of history, of roots, knowing where you've come from. I hope that some day my son will accept the ring his father used to propose to me, when he is ready to bring home his wife. I already know my husband is planning to replace it with a beautiful anniversary ring at some point, and I admit that I would be touched if there ended up being two Tacori engagement rings in the family. I've always felt mine was perfect--but, of course, whatever they want at the time should be respected. And it is so far away from now! I'm becoming one of those silly people who plans their child's life twenty years ahead.

No comments: