Saturday, April 21, 2007

..And I Was Knocked-Out.

I blogged last weekend how Manny Pacquiao finished a bout with a TKO.

Ironically, I experienced my own dose of TKO these past few days. Thus, I was MIA (missing in action) this week. It all started with some abdominal pain and found out that my UTI has recurred again for the nth time. I had my daily check-ups and series of tests at Patient First last Monday to Wednesday. They had me undergo Ultrasound and thank God my kidneys, gall bladder and all those organs are just normal. The urinalysis results yielded the answer that I indeed have a bad case of UTI causing the abdominal pain.

I know I’m also partly to be blamed here. I’ve worked and abused my body these past weeks by working long and late OTs at work. My body has definitely taken its toll on me. I developed fever on Wednesday night and continued until I woke up on Thursday morning. I texted my bosses that I won’t be able to report for work for me to rest the whole day.

Friday morning, I woke up without a fever anymore but still felt weak and sluggish so I decided to extend my sick leave. A few hours later, my agony started again as I just puked whatever I drank or ate. I experienced terrible headaches whenever I lie down or just sit. I felt so weak and unable to move.

Worrying of dehydration and some other things, hubby and I rushed to Makati Medical Center last night. After enduring a couple of needle pricks for some meds injection and blood collection and after undergoing urinalysis routine, the doctor informed me that I was having gastritis due to the antibiotics I’m taking in for my UTI. Gastritis is an irritation of the stomach often caused by medications, alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, spicy or acidic food, skipping of meals and emotional stress. He gave me several meds to counteract hyperacidity as well as neutralize the antibiotics to prevent myself from vomiting. Further, I was reminded to avoid soft drinks, alcohol, acidic fruit juices, spicy foods, chocolates, coffee, tea, milk, and milk products; not to skip meals; and manage stress appropriately. With that, I guess I have to strictly watch my diet in the next few days and of course, do away with working late at work for the mean time.

I’m feeling better today and hopefully, this will already lead to a full and even faster recovery.

No comments: