Sunday, April 01, 2007

Voice Over What?

My husband is a licensed Electronics and Communications Engineer. Way back our college years, I would often hear him narrate and relate their thesis project about this certain thing, VoIP. I’m a bit internet savvy also as I would love to chat then but I was least concerned and attentive about that certain topic. All I know is that it stands for Voice over Internet Protocol. Years later, I learned that I’ve been unknowingly enjoying this new breakthrough all this time. Simply put, Wikipedia defines it as routing of voice conversations over the Internet or through any other IP-based network.

Nowadays, instead of spending much for an overseas call, my Dad and I would just turn on our PCs, log on to Yahoo Messenger and do a voice conference. With this new technology, at least we could just chat any time inexpensively. He has been an overseas worker for so many years and we could have saved a lot if this has been invented decades back when airmails and phone calls were the only way to catch up.

I can’t help but marvel with this breakthrough along with other technology solutions such as wifi and video conferencing. Perhaps, in the next years to come, more advanced applications beyond our imagination will be introduced.

No comments: